Monday, November 20, 2006

Stellar Housekeeper, I am not

We had friends over for dinner last night, and the usual pre-guest frantic housecleaning ensued. Shortly after our guests arrived, I helped Big Whompers use the bathroom. When I put her at the sink to wash her hands, she gasped and said incredulously "It's changed. What is changed? The counter is different!" To my horror, the only thing I could reply was "It's clean, honey, the counter is clean."
And then I proceeded to feel like a total loser that I keep things in such a slovenly state. Could she really be that shocked at the sight of an uncluttered counter?
She made me feel slightly better today when she insisted that I move the soap dispenser back to the right side of the sink and said "there, not changed anymore". Even so, it was a mortifying thought, that my child could be so shocked at the sight of something clean. And even more awful, it is sometimes cluttered enought that I believed that she would be shocked at the sight of a clean counter.
(As a disclaimer to make myself feel better: the problem is clutter, not filth. We are just constantly overwhelmed with scattered toys and mountains of clean unfolded laundry.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you clarified that. Clutter is so much better than filth..well actually it is, ha,ha..