Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Hump Day

Because it's Wednesday and the first half of NaBloPoMo is complete (or will be after this is posted). It has been a bit trying to get in a post every day, and I don't claim to have meaningful content in every post (or any post that matter). Meaningful is a bit relative anyway...if I post it it probably means a little something to me.
I just drafted what is turning out to be a really long post about raising my kiddos in a liturgical Christian faith, and the challenges of taking my kiddos to evangelical services with some of our family members. But I realized that I was having trouble resolving the issues I have with evangelicals and the issues I have with the particular church in question. So it will need some more work before it is ready to go up.
So instead a related question: for those of you who are regular attenders of religious services, do you expect Church (or Mosque or Temple or whatever) to have an element of entertainment? I certainly don't expect church to be boring, but I am not going there to be entertained. I expect reverence for the Sacred, and while all the better if I enjoy the aesthetics of the service I certainly don't want to be distracted from my purpose. Church is not about me...it is about humbly presenting myself to the presence of my God. In other words: musical solos: great, applause afterward: no way.
Let me know how you feel, and why.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't attend church. I do however watch religious programs on tv.
I prefer to hear the sermon portion rather than the entertainment parts..

Snoskred said...

I'm trying to visit as many of the NaBloPoMo blogs as I can and I thought I'd say hi, I liked your blog.. :) My pastor was from South Africa and he had the gorgeous accent. I could sit there for hours listening to that.. ;)

rdl said...

No applause here and I agree it is getting a little trying posting everyday.